Monday, March 12, 2007

Louis L’Amour Novels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I love Louis L'Amour novels, for lots of reasons. The first one I encountered was in the early 70's when I was working a graveyard shift as an operator in a chemical plant. I was struggling to stay awake, so my co-worker handed me a copy of The Daybreakers. It was easy reading, the story was good, and I loved the Sackett family.

At the time I had no idea that L'amour was such a prolific writer or that I had already embraced some of his works as among my all time favorite movies. He wrote How the West Was Won, which is still in my top ten list of favorite movies. And Hondo is one of the best ever John Wayne movies, also written by L'Amour.


I began pickeing up paperbacks and letting Louis lead me on adventures into the deserts, or moutains or into the fens of England. He also wrote stories of adventures in the South China Sea and other more modern settings. He was so descriptive of the environments that I could get thirsty or cold along with his characters. He did a lot of research of the places he wrote about, and wove the truth of the settings beautifully into the story line.


Another thing I really appreciate about L'Amour was that he entertained with the story and the landscapes, rather than with vulgarity or profanity. I eventually signed up for the Louis L'Amour collection from Bantam and received all 120 volumes in hardcover leatherette bindings. They take up 3 shelves on a big bookcase and are written into my will as I consider them among my treasures to be handed down to my daughter.


If you want a good clean story, pick up a Louis L'Amour novel!









Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: